- By Ubaid Ur Rehman
- August 17, 2020
How to overcome anxiety and depression? This is probably the question everyone asking today, as we see lots of famous celebrities and personalities becoming the victims of depression, and committing suicides, that is alarming!
What are anxiety and anxiety disorders? And how to overcome depression and anxiety? Fame, money, and the luxurious lifestyle despite having everything, the ratio of depressive and anxious people is increasing day by day.
So, let’s try to find out the answers to these questions!
Difference between stress, anxiety, and depression
Firstly, we need to understand how stress, anxiety, and depression are different from each other. About 90 percent of people around the world consider these three terms similar but actually, they are quite different from each other.
Stress is the most prior condition, after this anxiety and depression have some overlapping symptoms and medications but they are not similar in nature at all.
Stress is basically your perceived inability to fight with the stressing stimulus in the environment. However, Anxiety is the reaction of stress. Once you recognize a threat your body starts producing reactions such as increased heartbeat, trembling hands, and cold feet.
Moreover, Depression is the worst of all. It is the prolonged condition of sadness and unworthiness that lasts up to weeks, months, and years. If left untreated it ultimately becomes the reason for committing suicide.
Difference between anxiety and anxiety disorder
If you feel any stressor in the environment and your body starts producing the reactions in the presence of that stressor, and when the stressor is gone the body came back to the normal conditions, then this is called normal anxiety. Around 9 out of every 10 persons feel it on different occasions.
Normal anxiety is good to boost your confidence but if your anxiety symptoms continue to appear even if there is no stimulus/stressors in the environment then this is an alarming situation. This is called anxiety disorder and it needs treatment and medication like depression.
Symptoms of anxiety
- Panic attacks
- Increased heartbeat
- Lack of concentration
Types of anxiety disorders
Main anxiety disorders are as follows:
Generalized anxiety disorder
People who are suffering from generalized anxiety disorder are overly concerned about different issues at the same time. They may predict a disaster and start worrying about it. People with this type of anxiety disorder find it difficult to control their uncertainties.
It is the second type of anxiety disorder in which people start feeling the panic attacks, and the feelings of terror when there is no actual threat is present in the environment. People with panic disorders also have physical symptoms such as increased heartbeat and a large amount of sweat.
People suffering from this disorder continually avoid and fear the places and situations that may bring panic attacks and give them a sense of helplessness and embarrassment.
At the start, we all feel a bit anxious and nervous becoming social in a gathering but get comfortable after a while. However, there are people whose little anxiety turns into a social phobia and the symptoms get out of control. And they even find difficulty in making eye contact.
Phobias are basically out of handle fear of certain objects, which is not quite dangerous in reality. There is a list of phobias that bring anxiety symptoms in people:
- Acrophobia (fear of heights)
- Arachnophobia (fear of spiders)
- Autophobia (fear of being alone)
- Claustrophobia (fear of closed and crowded places)
- Hemophobia (fear of blood)
- Hydrophobia (terror of water)
- Zoophobia (fear of animals)
- Amathophobia (fear of dust)
How to overcome depression and anxiety?
Here is the list of some dos and don’ts during your anxiety attacks.
- Focus on how anxiety is affecting your life and instead of feeling low and terrified you should be feeling positive.
- Do breathe, breathe, and breathe. It will give you a sense of relaxation and calm you.
- Project your thoughts on something memorable, something you love in your life.
- Keep yourself engaging with children, pets, and any other mind-relaxing hobbies like gardening.
- Surround yourself with good people who know how to deal with you in the time of anxiety attack.
- Take care of your hygiene and get healthy foods on time.
- Engage yourself in positive talk and avoid talking about the things that bring anxiety.
- Focus more on your life goals and try to stay self-motivated.
What to avoid during anxiety?
- Avoid isolating yourself, otherwise, anxiety will take control over your social life.
- Stop talking about anxiety. It will take over your feelings and start making you terrified.
- Try not to think about the things that bring you anxiety.
- Do not stop engaging in your favorite hobbies.
- Stop putting your life in negative thoughts.
Nobody conquers depression; we don’t beat anxiety, this needs acknowledgment that we have them, and we treat them successfully.