Supta parivartanasana is considered by many a base pose or asana. It is also known as matyendrasana which is called supine spinal twist pose. If we talk about human anatomy then this pose improves a person’s abdominal organ functioning. And carries a bundle of benefits as below:
Supta Parivartanasana Steps
- Lie down on your back just like a corpse and stay in that position and take 4-5 breaths.
- Here you have to inhale and then bend your left leg and place the foot on the ground. Then exhale put your left thigh over your right leg thigh.
- Then stretch your arms out at your shoulder level and turn towards your left side in a complete exhalation process.
- Now place your left knee on the ground and your left foot on the ground, right leg little extended. Your left arm extended gazing is towards the left side of yours. Make sure your shoulders firmly stick to the floor.
- Further, stay in this position for 4 to 6 breaths. Now in each exhalation twist your left hip deeper and stretch your left arm deeper outwards side while you twist make sure your neck is towards your left side.
- Then in this state, you feel stretch in your left gluteus, on your left abdomen as well as your lower back.
- Repeat it with another side of twisting. To hold in this pose for long it needs practice. The more you practice the more you will behold this posture.
Supta Parivartanasana Benefits
This pose detoxifies your inner organs and thus helps in the proper functioning of the body. Also, increases the function of various glands doing their secretion in the body. It improves the alignment of the spine by twisting the lower and middle parts of the spine at your back. Tone the muscles and reduces the ailments to the spine that causes back pain in your body. However there are some more considerable benefits of this asana.
- This yoga gives strength to your joints at the sacrum.
- Helps to maintain body balance.
- Supta parivartanasana helps to provide the flexibility of the spine at the lower back of your body.
- People having constipation problem can easily get rid of of it by this pose.
- Keeps your mind relax and calm.
- You can cope up with insomnia if you do this yoga regularly. Try to practice it before going to bed.
- Further, it regulates blood circulation and proper functioning of the stomach.
- This also involves reducing stress levels.
Supta Parivartanasana Contraindications
Where there are so many benefits we also need to focus on some contraindication for ourselves. There are a few contraindications of this pose too, which we need to keep in mind while practicing it.
- If you have a lower back injury that is close to the sacrum then do not perform this yoga.
- Even if you are recovering from this injury stop doing it till the time you are fully recovering otherwise it will add more pain to your recovery process.
- Take advice from your medical practitioner before doing this yoga.
- Pregnant women should use some support while performing it. They should put bolster below the knee while they do twisting of hips. Make sure that the fetus does not press too much while doing it.
- Stop practicing this asana if you have a hip or knee injury. This will cause discomfort or pain.
Alignment of Supta Parivartanasana (Reclined Twist)
First, you need to lie on your back and inhale properly then bend your both knees. Put your feet together on the floor. Then exhale slowly lower both knees slowly to the left side of yours. Make sure your palm is facing up and place your left hand on your stacked knees and then gently press it. Now twist through the whole spine of your right side and gaze over your right shoulder straightly
Jathara parivartanasana is also known as the Abdominal Twist Pose. This pose actually tones the abdomen of your body and makes your hips and spine more flexible.
In Sanskrit, the meaning of Jathara is belly or we can say abdomen, Parivarta means revolved, and Asana means a pose or position. This is a belly twist pose. It is a variation of supta matyendrasna 2 which is also called supine spinal twist pose 2. The main point of this pose is to relax the muscles of your spine after your intense standing practices.
Jathara Parivartanasana Benefits (Abdominal Twist Pose)
- Firstly, Jathara parivartanasana benefits you in improving your digestion.
- It helps in stretching your muscles especially the muscles of your shoulders and upper back.
- This asana tones the organs in the abdomen side.
- It gives flexibility to the spine.
- Whenever you feel tired and feel fatigued you can do this pose for long-lasting relaxation.
- Your hips and lower back can also get flexible by doing this yoga.
- Jathara parivartanasana benefits you in energizing your body for a whole day.
Contraindication of Jathara Parivartanasana
Always keep in mind that there are some contraindications of different yoga poses either its Supta parivartanasana or any other. So, talking about Jathara pose, those who are suffering from any kind of back injury or hips, knee injuries should avoid doing it. In case of any major surgery, you should stop performing this asana.
The surgery of the spine, hips, and knees are dangerous and if you recently have one of these surgeries then do not practice this yoga. This asana must be performed on empty stomach, moreover, avoid it after having a heavy meal.
Jathara Parivartanasana Iyengar
This pose is fully described in 20th-century manuals ad including BKS Iyengar’s on his 1966 Light on yoga. Jathara parivartanasana Iyengar is actually recovered abdomen pose and belly twist pose it is also known as a spinal twist. In modern exercises, it is called as reclining twist asana.
Shava udarakarshanasana is known as Universal Spinal Twist as it is easy to guess by the name of this asana. The name comes from the Sanskrit and it is actually derived from four words which are Shava which means corpse and the second is udarak which means stomach. The third word is Akarshana which means to stretch and the last one is asana, which means posture or poses.
It is highly beneficial for any human being as it is performed to cure the problem of indigestion. Along with it, there are other several benefits but first, we need to know how to perfrom shava udarakarshanasana.
Steps of Shava Udarakarshanasana
Just like Supta Parivartanasana it is very important to learn Shava pose step by step.
First, you have to lie down like a corpse on your back then exhale and bend your right knee, and place your right sole on your left thigh. In this position, you have to keep your left leg extended. Now inhale and bring the left hand on your right knee then spread your right arm a little out perpendicular to your body. Make sure that your palm is facing down.
In this pose, at this point, exhale and bring your right knee towards the ground on your left side of the body. Ensure that both your shoulders are touching the ground or yoga mat. Now turn your head and look right side. Breath properly and deep relaxation in this pose and try to focus. You can repeat this pose with your other leg or side of the body with the same procedure.
Benefits of Shava Udarakarshanasana
There are many health benefits of this Universal Spinal Twist.
- It is extremely helpful in removing your belly fat.
- Shava udarakarshanasana stretches your muscles and it relaxes your body.
- Women with menstrual cramps problems can easily get rid of the pain by doing this yoga regularly.
- This yoga tones the pelvic and your abdominal organs.
- You can get rid of gastritis problems and it improves your digestion functioning. Moreover, makes your stomach healthy.
- If you have back alignment and spinal disorder by doing this you maintain your body posture, and improves it.
- This asana relieves the stiffness and lower back pain from your body.
- Last but not the least, it also reduces stress levels as yoga is a natural way of healing and this one is good enough for reducing your stress and anxiety.