pawanmuktasana is a hatha yoga pose that can be performed as part of a yoga practice or as a standalone pose. The word pawanmuktasana comes from the Sanskrit words pawan (meaning wind or air) and mukta (meaning release). The pose is sometimes also called the wind-relieving pose. pawanmuktasana is a restorative posture that can be used to relieve gas and bloating. It is also said to help relieve stress and tension headaches. The pose can be performed by anyone, regardless of yoga experience or ability level.
The wind relieving pose is actually a reclined posture and it is suitable for everyone. This pose is so easy to do for any practitioner or any beginner. Pawanmuktasana is also known as the one-legged knee-to-chest asana or pose. Moreover, it is also known by a few more names, the wind relieving pose, wind removing pose, and wind liberating pose.
Category Of Pawanmuktasana
It is classified as an intermediate level which is under the category of lying down asanas. The asana is good for toning the lower and upper abdominal muscles of your body.
When To Practice This Asana
The best time to practice any asana is in the morning. In the case of pawanmuktasana, you need to perform it in the early morning so pawanmuktasana benefits more in the morning as compared to if you do it in the evening or night. Why it is good to perform this yoga in the morning is because in the morning all the trapped gases in your digestive tract would release with great ease.
You can start your yoga with this asana it will make other asanas easier for you because then you have no gastric issues. Practice this yoga 4 to 6 hours after having a meal because then your stomach and bowel both are empty and you can perform it with full ease.
Duration Of Pawanmuktasana
The level of this yoga is basic and the time duration will be 10 to 60 seconds. There is no need for repetition. You stretch your abdomen and lower back plus your arms in this pose. Pawanmuktasana benefits in strengthening your back and digestive system as well as your reproductive system.
It is an excellent yoga pose especially for the health of the abdominal region by easing stomach heaviness and increasing blood circulation in the body. Moreover, it is also extremely effective in nerve stimulation and in removing trapped abdominal gases from our body as well as harmful toxins. In short, it is an important yoga asana for the smooth functioning of the stomach or we can say the digestive system.
Pawan means air or gas and Mukta means to release, however, this asana is an air release pose. Pawanmuktasana benefits in releasing excessive gas from the body and helps in reducing extra fats or weight from the body. All the toxins which are harmful to our body can easily be eradicated by this posture.
Many people face issues of constipation and if you do this pose your constipation problems will be sorted out in a few days. It is a worldwide famous yoga pose as it relieves a person from constipation., the benefits of pawanmuktasana go far beyond just the digestive system. This pose can also help to improve circulation, relieve tension headaches, and ease lower back pain. In addition, pawanmuktasana helps to increase flexibility in the hips and spine, making it an excellent pose for those who are looking to improve their overall mobility. So whether you are seeking relief from gas or hoping to increase your flexibility, pawanmuktasana may be just the pose you need. Most importantly it is good for sterility and impotence.
Pawanmuktasana Benefits in Healing Your Body
This is a gentle reminder that your body can heal itself all you need to understand is the relieving your system of the pressure. It builds every single day and its extremely relaxing to your body as well as your spirit and mind.
If you practice this asana early in the morning exactly just before you get out of your cozy bed then you feel that your body is functioning properly throughout the day as compared to the other days of your life. This is how you naturally heal your body without taking any medicines.
How To Do Pawanmuktasana
First of all, it is very easy to perform for anyone even if you are not a yoga person then still you can perform pawanmuktasana steps.
- First, lie straight on your back. Make sure the surface is smooth and put your feet together.
- After that put your arms beside your body gently.
- Now take a deep breath when you exhale you have to bring your knees towards your chest and gently press your thighs on your abdomen.
- You have to clasp your hands around your legs the same as you are hugging your knees.
- Hold this pose while you breathe normally.
- Every time when you exhale you have to make sure that you tighten the grip of the hands-on upper shins that increase the pressure on the chest.
- Then you lose grip every time when you inhale this is how it goes. You need to care that when you exhale and release the pose after you rock and roll from one side to side about 3 to 5 times and then relax.
These are pawanmuktasana steps that are easy to perform. However, if you do it without proper concentration it would give you harm that is why first do proper research on the pose which you have selected for yourself then watch at least 4 to 5 videos on how to perform it then with proper yogi consult start doing it for quick and better results.
If you are a beginner then you must have to keep your buttocks lifted off the floor. Then try to keep your lower backgrounded on the floor as long as you perform this pose.
Precautions And Contraindications Of Pawanmuktasana
As we know so many pawanmuktasana benefits but there are also a few other things that need to be focused on. Precautions you need to take while performing this yoga are:
- This asana or pose must not be practiced by a person who is suffering from any abdominal surgery.
- People who are patients with hernias or piles must avoid this asana.
- Pregnant women also need to avoid it as it would be dangerous for baby and mama.
- Menstruating women should also avoid doing it if she is not feeling comfortable.
- Heart disease is a serious issue if you need to avoid performing this yoga if you are suffering from this issue.
- Diseases like hernias, back problems, heart diseases, testicle disorder, slip disc, hyperacidity, or lastly the high blood pressure should avoid this pose as it would be dangerous for them.
- If you have a major injury such as a neck injury then first consult your doctor for permission to practice this asana then perform it as with any yogi expert.
Supta Udarakarshanasana is also called (Sleeping Abdominal stretch). This actually helps in removing tightness, stiffness, and pain from your body or we can say affected area of your body. After recovering for 50-60 percent and start practising different yoga-like Utthanapadasana, Supta Pawanmuktasana, and Kandharasana you can start performing supta udarakarshanasana easily.In addition, Supta Udarakarshanasana helps to calm the mind and relax the body, making it an ideal pose to practise before bedtime. Whether you are looking to improve your posture or simply wind down before sleep, Supta Udarakarshanasana is a great pose to add to your yoga practice.
The Technique Of Supta Udarakarshanasana
All you need to do is to lie on your back just like pawanmukhtasana. Then interlock your fingers and place them under your head. Keep your elbows straight out. At this point, you have to fold your legs at the knees and place your feet close to your hips. Now exhale and turn your knees towards your right side.
Further, create a twist at the abdomen at the same time when you turn your head to the left. Focus your eyes on the point of your left elbow then inhale and come back to the center. In the same way practice opposite sides and perform this supta udarakarshanasana five times a day.
How To Perform Supta Pawanmuktasana
- In this, you have to lie on your back with your hands by the side of your body gently.
- After that, you need to bend your right knee properly and interlock your fingers around your right shin bone.
- While doing it try to pull your knee as close to your chest as possible.
- Always start this supta pawanmuktasana with your right leg because your right leg will press the ascending colon and your left leg presses your left colon and in this way gas releases.
- Then take a deep inhale and exhale the lifting head and shoulders of yours bringing up the nose to the knees.
- Now keep your left leg straight.
- This is the final position stay in this position for at least 30 seconds. Make your breath normally and slowly come back with an inhale.
- Repeat this supta pawanmuktasana for the same length of time with the left leg.
Supta pawanmuktasana or pawanmuktasana benefits if done with poper technique. It is just a bending pose in which you have to bend your knees while you are lying down and all you have to do is to bring your head up and close to the bent knees of yours. It is extremely hard to remain in this pose for a long time because while doing it builds up pressure around your abdomen and neck that creates difficulty in breathing.
You need a lot of concentration and focus on your technique while performing it. Focus especially on your right kind of breathing. If you practice this asana few days then you will easily maintain the proper balance of your breath. You will feel by yourself the dramatic change in digestive system because it eliminates the unwanted gases out of your body.